[BLDG-SIM] VisualDoe - Air to air heat recovery

Jeff Hrovat jhrovat at nwenergy.com
Thu Feb 19 11:53:01 PST 2004

Does anyone out there have experience with simulating air to air heat
recovery in Doe2?
I would like to model a system with air to air heat recovery for a building
I have modeled in VisualDOE 3.1.  Is this even possible?  Or could I select
other options and tweak them  to achieve similar energy savings.

I was thinking that I might be able to select heat recovery which only
recovers sensible heat (preheat OSA) from the exhaust air.

And since heat recovery in Doe2 does not recover cool (precool OSA).

For the cooling season I was thinking of  selecting an indirect evaporative
pre cooler with return air for the indirect air stream, zero (or minimal)
fan power and inputting the efficiency that the actual air to air HX is
designed to achieve.

As I am unfamiliar with evaporative pre cooling and the effects that it may
have on the system I question the accuracy of the energy savings results
and how they would compare to air to air heat recovery.  Does this sound
like a logical tweak for Doe2?  Does anyone have any recommendations or
other similar tweaks they have made to model air to air.

Thanks.

Jeff Hrovat

Northwest Energy Services, Inc.