[BLDG-SIM] Evaluation of the cooling load of an interior atri um

Pueltz, Gunter GPueltz at MuellerBBM.de
Thu Feb 5 23:23:43 PST 2004

Dear Yu,

we have investigated several atria with glazed roof using
the well known software ESP-r from Joe Clark, ESRU
(see http://www.esru.strath.ac.uk/ fore more informations).
In comparison to TRNSYS or DOE-2 ESP-r enables thermal and
air flow simulations of much higher quality as it incorporates
a complete radiation model based upon real geometry and
using view factors for thermal radiation heat exchange.

Regarding your task I assume that it will be very difficult
to seperate the corridors from the atrium thermally; or in
other words: If you are cooling the corridors (i.e. 25 degC),
an intensive air exchange between the cooled corridors and
the (uncooled (?) and heated by solar gain) atrium will take
place, which yields similar air temperatures in the corridor
and the atrium. Thus cooling the corridor you will also cool
the atrium.

For the simulation of such a system you have to define seperate zones
(corridors and atrium), which show heat exchange by thermal
radiation as well as convection (air flow).
The heat exchange between the zones by thermal radiation should
base upon the correct geometry (using view-factors); the heat
exchange between the zones by convection (air flow) requires
an air flow network (model of air nodes), which shows a flow
component with a bidirectional air flow, and which is coupled
with the thermal domain (solving zones energy balances) implicite.
ESP-r has these features; thus I can recommend it for your problem.

Regards,
Gunter

Dr.-Ing. Gunter Pültz
Müller-BBM GmbH