[BLDG-SIM] eQuest Dbl Skin Sim

Ferguson, Alex AFerguso at NRCan.gc.ca
Thu Jan 29 05:22:48 PST 2004

A fair bit of double-facade modelling work has been done in Europe using
ESP-r. If you are seriously considering this technology, you may find the
following lecture notes from a course offered by Jan Hensen to be a useful
starting point:

http://www.bwk.tue.nl/fago/hensen/courseware/CVUT-capita/

In his notes, Hensen provides a brief description of the relevant physics
and an example set of ESP-r input files.

- Regards

Alex Ferguson
Research Assistant
Buildings Group, CETC
Natural Resources Canada
P:+1 613 995 3294
F:+1 613 996 9909
Alex.Ferguson at nrcan.gc.ca

-----Original Message-----
From: Callan, David [mailto:dcallan at syska.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 12:45 AM
To: BLDG-SIM at GARD.COM
Subject: [BLDG-SIM] eQuest Dbl Skin Sim

There are no commercially available energy simulation tools, I am aware of,
that will simulate the complexity of a double skin façade.  The performance
of these systems varies dramatically with the type of façade and its
interaction with the building's HVAC system.  At best, I would suggest you
dig into the research and publications to determine what kind of system you
wish to model, then begin to develop a set of assumptions you can use in the
analysis. When modeling an advanced façade, one should go back to first
principles.  Best of luck!

David P. Callan, MS, PE, CEM
Senior Associate
LEEDTM Accredited Professional