[BLDG-SIM] Correctly modeling underground surfaces

Matt Gangemi mgangemi at wood-harbinger.com
Thu Mar 18 08:28:22 PST 2004

Hello,

I'm modeling loads on an underground space to see if we need cooling
during the summer.  Using the method outlined in the Building Energy
Simulation User news Vol. 23, No. 6, page 19
(http://gundog.lbl.gov/dirun/23n_d_1.pdf), I'm getting negative
fictitious R-values for some long short walls (Example: F2 = 0.78, A =
778ft^2, P = 156ft, Rus = 8.27).  Am I correct in reducing the R value
of my wall construction to meet the effective R-value?  It seems strange
to be reducing the R-value of a construction that is physically there.
I imagine the only real reason for this would have to be that the ground
temperature is actually lower near the surface than listed in the
weather file, but would this be true on a sunny afternoon?

 Thank you,
-Matt Gangemi
 Wood/Harbinger, Inc.
 (425) 822-9499 x188