[bldg-sim] grab bag--boiler part load, waterside economizers and fan coils, and efficient monitors and pcs

Brian Thornton bthornton at glumac.com
Tue Mar 16 08:51:09 PST 2004

I've been saving up a few unrelated questions--any thoughts:

1) The default boiler part load curve in DOE 2 drops off substantially at
minimum loads.  My understanding is that this is a reasonable reflection of
cast iron sectional boiler
performance. (but not steel fire tube or condensing) However, I haven't
found a source to validate this.  Does anyone have information on real part
load performance for code level efficiency cast iron sectional boilers on
the market today?

2) The ASHRAE 90.1 energy cost budget manual requires budget baseline
four-pipe fan coil systems to have waterside economizers.  The DOE 2.2
software doesn't appear to allow this with the fan coil system type.  Am I
missing something in the code, or does anyone have a work around or
approximation?

3) I've heard various claims for energy savings for flat screen monitors,
and/or sleep-mode locally, or network controlled to reduced W/s.f. for
desktop computers, and more efficient PCs. It seems like nearly all monitors
now have a sleep mode of some sort.  Any comments on the baseline assumption
for these features, and how much savings an energy measure based on these
ideas can reasonably produce?

Thanks

Brian Thornton, P.E.
Lead Engineer, Energy Services