[bldg-sim] IBPSA-Scotland (SESG) announcement: TRNSYS introductory course, Glasgow 17-18 May

Jon Hand jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Mon Mar 15 05:29:24 PST 2004

Solar Energy Systems and Building Simulation with TRNSYS
introductory course, May 17-18 2004, Glasgow,  Scotland

IBPSA-Scotland, also known as The Scottish Energy Systems
Group (SESG), in conjunction with the Solar Energy Laboratory
of the University of Wisconsin-Madison, are organizing a
TRNSYS introductory course in Glasgow, Scotland on May 17-18,
2004. The training course will use TRNSYS version 16, which
is expected to be publicly released in May 2004.

Practical details and the course programme are given below
or at http://www.sesg.strath.ac.uk.

What is TRNSYS?
TRNSYS (pronounced TRAN-Sys) is a modular simulation program
used to model energy systems and buildings. Its main applications
are: advanced buildings and HVAC systems, solar systems (thermal
and photovoltaic systems), other renewable energy systems,
cogeneration plants, fuel cells and Hydrogen systems.

TRNSYS has become reference software throughout the world. It
is one of the listed simulation programs in the recent European
Standards on solar thermal systems (ENV-12977-2). The level
of detail of TRNSYS' building model, known as "Type 56", is
compliant with the requirements of ANSI/ASHRAE Standard 140-2001.
The level of  detail of Type 56 also meets the general technical
requirements of the European Directive on the Energy Performance
of Buildings, which makes TRNSYS a potential candidate for
compliance with the directive's implementations in various EU
countries.

More detailed information is available on the TRNSYS website:
http://sel.me.wisc.edu/trnsys/ and the SEL website
http://sel.me.wisc.edu .
TRNSYS actually consists of a suite of tools, from visual
interfaces that allow users to input the required data for
a simulation (building + systems) in a visual, user-friendly
way to programs that allow you to create stand-alone applications
that can present a simplified simulation to non-expert users. The
training course will introduce users to the use of those tools in
order to become quickly productive with the program.

Who is giving the course?
The course will be taught by Michaël Kummert of SEL. Michaël
graduated as a Mechanical - Electrical Engineer at the Free
University of Brussels. He obtained a PhD in Environmental
Sciences at the FUL (Arlon, Belgium) studying optimal control
of passive solar buildings. He has worked as a consulting
engineer for 3E (Brussels), designing low-energy buildings
and active solar systems. Since November 2001, he is the
TRNSYS Coordinator at the University of Wisconsin-Madison
Solar Energy Lab. He contributes to the TRNSYS development
and coordinates the developers team. He is also involved in
user support and he contributes to the TRNSYS education
programs. He has taught beginners and advanced TRNSYS courses
in the US, France, Belgium, Spain and Korea.

Who is the course for?
Practitioners who are considering TRNSYS use will have ample
opportunities to evaluate its facilities and ask questions.
Those who have recently acquired TRNSYS will be avoiding the
hassles and pitfalls of self instruction and users at all
levels will learn how to use some of the new features in
TRNSYS 16: improvements to the visual interface, better
integration of the different tools, drop-in DLL's to add
new components, etc.

The number of participants is limited so you are encouraged
to register early.

The course fee (excluding accommodation) will be 400 Pounds. If
the course if fully subscribed the first six SESG members
will get a discounted fee of 275 Pounds. If there are fewer
participants then fewer discounts will be offered. The number
of participants is limited to a dozen.

What do I need to bring?
The course venue will provide a limited number of computers
with relevant software. Participants will have the option to
bring their own computers and a time-limited version of TRNSYS
will be made available for use during the course. If you have
details of a design you want to test, bring along details to
support your explorations on the second day.

Programme
Day 1

1. Introduction to TRNSYS (Presentation)
     - TRNSYS principles and applications
2. Creating projects using the Visual Interface (TRNSYS Simulation
Studio)
     - Short presentation + example done by the instructor and
participants

3. Multizone Building Simulation
    - Simple building project
    - Short presentation + one example done by the instructor and
participants

Day 2
Optional Topics (depending on the interest):
4. Links with other programs
    (Presentation + hands-on session)
    - Links between TRNSYS and EES, Excel.
5. Creating Stand-alone TRNSYS applications
    (Presentation + hands-on session)
    - How to create redistributable applications based
      on TRNSED
6. TRNFLOW
   - Multizone building model with integrated COMIS
     engine for detailed ventilation studies
7. TRNSYSLite
    - simple tool to simulate 1-zone buildings very quickly
8. Projects (hands-on session)
    - Participants work on one chosen projects with the instructor
    or
   Each participant works on her/his project with support from
   the instructor

Reply form (email back to Kathleen Whyte kathleen at sesg.strath.ac.uk)

[ ] I will attend the introductory TRNSYS course.
[ ] I will bring along a laptop for use during the course.
[ ] I am interested in the day-2 Links with other programs
[ ] I am interested in the day-2 Creating TRNSYS applications
[ ] I am interested in the day-2 TRNFLOW option
[ ] I am interested in the day-2 TRNSYSLite option
[ ] I am interested in the day-2 Projects (extended session) to work on
my own  model
[ ] Tell me about software discounts for course participants.
[ ] I would be interested in joining a UK based TRNSYS group.
[ ] Please notify me about other TRNSYS courses.
Name:
Address:
Email:
Phone: