[BLDG-SIM] Modeling a variable air volume make up air fan system

Chris Jones cj at cr-jay.ca
Tue Mar 9 12:14:53 PST 2004

I haven't used eQUEST but the OA-FROM--SYSTEM is in DOE2.1e.  You need to
create a dummy space and zone.  Set the temperature to the average make-up
air supply.  I don't know about eQUEST (DOE2.2) but it is next to
impossible to get the make-up air system to simulate a variable flow to
match what is happening in the systems it serves.  You might need to set a
MIN-AIR-SCH and MIN-CFM-SCH to match what you think is happening in the 16
VAV handlers.  You might need to run hourly reports to determine the amount
of total OA required to match the 16 VAV systems.

>Greetings All,
>
>I am working on a project where I have a make-up ventilation air system
>that serves 16 VAV air-handlers (one per floor).  The make-up air fan has
>a VFD to maintain constant pressure in the duct as the OA Dampers at each
>floor modulate open and closed.  I am using DOE2.2 (eQUEST) and need help
>using the OA-FROM-SYSTEM command.  Specifically, I cannot resolve how to
>add a system (make-up air fan) without a conditioned zone.  Do I just
>create a dummy zone that it serves or is there a better way.
>
>Could someone who has used this command before and modeled a similar
>system please offer some advise.
>
>Thank you.
>
>Mike
>

>Michael Tillou, PE
>etc Group, Inc.
>PO Box 749,  North Adams, MA 01247
>Ph. (413) 458-9870   Mbl. (413)
>652-1087  <http://www.etcgrp.com>www.etcgrp.com
>CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE This e-mail transmission, and any documents, files
>or previous e-mail messages attached to it may contain confidential
>information that is legally privileged.  If you are not the intended
>recipient or the person responsible for delivering it to the intended
>recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying,
>distribution or use of any of the information contained in or attached to
>this transmission is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
>transmission in error, please immediately notify us by telephone at
>(413)458-9870 and destroy the original transmission and its attachments
>without reading them. Thank you.
>

>You received this e-mail because you are subscribed
>to the BLDG-SIM at GARD.COM mailing list.  To unsubscribe
>from this mailing list send a blank message to
>BLDG-SIM-UNSUBSCRIBE at GARD.COM

Chris Jones, P. Eng.
14 Oneida Avenue
Toronto, ON M5J 2E3