[BLDG-SIM] Simulation on Thermal Energy Storage using DOE2.2

Chris Jones cj at cr-jay.ca
Fri Nov 26 10:22:51 PST 2004

We did an analysis of an existing building with a large heat/cool storage
system.  The Owners were very surprised to find out that the building was
not energy efficient - it just saved on demand charges.  The pumping of
fluid in and out of the tanks, through heat exchangers occurred 24 hours a
day significantly increasing the kWh beyond that of a conventional hydronic
heat/cool building.

At 01:26 11/26/2004, you wrote:
>Dear Martin,
>I think the findings may be correct.
>First, for a TES system the leaving chilled water temperature usually will
>be lower, so the COP will be deduced, but as the outside temperature is
>lower, it does not deduced alot.
>Second, if the TES system using brine water, i think the efficiency will
>reduce more.
>As our experience in some project in Hong Kong and Mainland, TES system
>can only reduce electricity cost due to tariff rate rather than consumption.
>I hope these comment would help.
>
>Regards,
>Ernest Tsang
>Meinhardt (M&E) Ltd
>

>Martin Yip <yipch at emsd.gov.hk> wrote:
>Dear Bldg-sim Subscribers,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns =
>"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
>
>I recently simulated an air cooled chiller plant with cold water tank
>thermal energy storage using DOE 2.2.  I originally expected some energy
>saving due to improve chiller COP at night charging the storage when
>compare it with a system without storage.  However, the results showed an
>energy penalty of a few percentages even though hourly data actually
>showed COP improvement during charging.  I have already set the loss
>coefficient to zero for the TES.  I should be most grateful if anyone can
>comment on this issue and provide some suggestion.
>
>Thanks
>
>Martin YIP
>Engineer
>EMSD, HKSAR