[BLDG-SIM] GSHP and radiant panel/baseboard questions

Pat Dolan PDolan at serenasturm.com
Mon Oct 18 16:51:48 PDT 2004

I am simulating a Ground Source Heat Pump system which will provide
tempered water to a radiant slab system using eQUEST v3-5.  I know that
I can not use the SYSTEM TYPE HP for a radiant slab, but I am looking
for reasonable work around to capture the yearly electric power
consumption for this system.  I have tried dozens of different options,
but I did not want to give up until I heard from the experts.  The
building otherwise has typical air-to-water HP systems for ventilation
and cooling (the radiant heating is intended to be disconnected from the
ventilation source for comfort since this project is an elementary
school) with a ground loop for heat rejection/heat.

So far, I have not been able to attach either an FPH system (or
baseboards) to the WLHP circulation loop since the WLHP loop is a
condenser water loop and the FPH system (and baseboards also) can only
be attached to either a hot water loop or 2-pipe loop.  Is there anyway
to use or simulate a radiant exchanger on the demand side, if the plan
is not to use the air-to water exchanger on the HP?   I believe that
baseboards would be an acceptable substitute for a floor panel system if
I could only find a way to integrate them with the condenser water
circulation loop.   Is there any way to define a HW loop which is
connected to the WLHP circulation loop?  I have tried to define a
secondary loop, but apparently the loop type WLHP cannot have secondary
loops attached. Also, would there be a way to define the length of the
WLHP loop to accurately simulate heat loss from the loop?

Otherwise, my guess is I would have to determine the overall heat loss
from the radiant loop given its physical properties and expected EWT and
account for power used for the HP pump primarily and condenser operation
(if at all). That would be easy to do, but I would like to know the
effect that the loss would have on the rest of the WLHP circulation
loop.  Is there a way to define or schedule (either within the eQUEST
model or post-processing) the effect that the radiant heat loss would
have on the loop temperature, especially the leaving water temperature
(LWT) of the loop?  I could then determine the electric power associated
with the pump (and condenser I guess) operating on the radiant system
based on occupancy and some approximation of outdoor temperature reset
control.

Any suggestions?  I could also switch to Doe2.1E v.+100 if there's a
better work around there.

Patrick Dolan
Serena Sturm Architects, Ltd.
3351 Commercial Ave.