[BLDG-SIM] Infiltration in a frame wall with batts vs Isynene or Airkrete

David Yuill dyuill at cox.net
Tue Oct 19 09:56:11 PDT 2004

Mike,

I carried out a field study in 1996 of whole-house air infiltration.
The study was quite extensive and examined how several different
treatments affect airtightness, but also what contribution the
components of the house (ceiling, walls, windows/doors, floor) make.
The study involved hundreds of tests of overall airtightness and
produced excellent repeatability.  We did not study the products you
mentioned but did look at wet-blown cellulose and blown fiberglass,
among others.

Some of the results are fairly surprising:  the walls accounted for only
14% of leakage, and wall cavity insulation had no measurable effect on
overall tightness of the house.  In one test we removed all of the
insulation from the wall cavity and the overall infiltration increased
1.5%.  Drywall turned out to be the dominant barrier in the wall.

The results of the study can be found in the proceedings of the 1997
Excellence in Building Conference of the Energy Efficient Building
Association:
 "A Field Study of Whole House Air Infiltration in Residences", G.K
Yuill, Ph.D, and D.P Yuill, October 7, 1997.

I hope this helps.

David P. Yuill
Principal
Building Solutions Inc.