[BLDG-SIM] Hohhot wind data

Joe Huang YJHuang at lbl.gov
Thu Sep 2 11:41:38 PDT 2004

Erik,

NCDC has on sale a 5 CD collection of historical weather data for 500+ US
and 800+ international weather stations called,  "International Sujrface
Weather Observations 1982-1997".  These are mostly 3-hour recordings
collected from airport broadcasts, and are the same locations selected by
ASHRAE TC 4.2 (Weather Information) for inclusion in the 1997 HOF Design
Conditions.

Among the internationa locations there are 70 Chinese locations, of which
Hohhot is included.  In 2001, a colleague and I processed some of these
Chinese weather data into TMY weather files.  I can send you the TMY weather
file we developed for Hohhot that you can sort to get a sense of the
prevailing wind directions and average wind speeds.  If you want more
information on the development of these Chinese TMY weather files, I can
send you a copy of the paper I gave at the ASHRAE conference in Honolulu in
June 2002 (Zhang, Q.Y., Huang, Y.J., and Lang, S.W. 2002. "Development of
Typical Year Weather Data for Chinese Locations", LBNL-51436. ASHRAE
Transactions, V. 108. Part 2, Honolulu).

Joe Huang
TC 4.2 Weather Information Chair