[BLDG-SIM] typical attic, garage, and basement infiltration rates for a single family house

Joe Huang YJHuang at lbl.gov
Thu Sep 2 10:48:13 PDT 2004

I've typically modeled infiltration using Effective-Leakage-Areas with the LBNL Sherman-Grismrud Model rather than use Air-Changes-per-Hour. For example, a typical construction tightness would be a E-L-A of 0.0005 (ft2 openings/ft2 floor area), 0.0003 for tight construction, etc.  Using the S-G model allows me to set the E-L-As of the unconditioned spaces to their amount of vents, for which there are rules of thumb, and let the S-G model figure out the resultant air-change rates depending on temperature difference and wind speed.

Joe