[BLDG-SIM] Variable flow laboratory exhaust systems.

Peter Simmonds peter.simmonds at ibece.net
Fri Apr 8 09:24:37 PDT 2005

OK , its Friday so I am allowed to ask for advice and guidance.

Firstly I am using VisualDoe, I am modeling the energy performance of a
200,000 sf building which has 60,000 sf of laboratories. The labs all
have fume hoods so the supply air is balanced to the exhaust air (100%
OA).. Now I have the following problem: a fan system is either on or
off, therefore the lab fans are on 24 hours a day. I would like to
reduce the exhaust flow during unoccupied periods to exhaust air from
the fume hoods at their minimum flow of 40%. Reducing the flow would
also reduce the make up of outside air to balance the flow and obviously
reduce energy consumption.

Am I missing something here or does anyone have a magic trick that will
allow me to accomplish my goal. Simply said HELP

Peter Simmonds Ph.D.

Associate
IBE Consulting Engineers

14130 Riverside Drive Suite 201

Sherman Oaks, CA 91423
p:   (818) 377-8220
f:    (818) 377-8230
m:  (818) 219-1284
IDEAS FOR THE BUILT ENVIRONMENT <BLOCKED::http://www.ibece.com/>

This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of
information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution
is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the