[bldg-sim] eQUEST question

Liu, Xiaobing xiaobing.liu at okstate.edu
Fri Apr 22 10:19:02 PDT 2005

Dear eQUEST users:

I meet a problem when I use eQUEST to model a gymnasium, which has a pitched roof. eQUEST automatically separate the gymnasium to two spaces: one is a cube-shape "Space" (under the roof) and the other is a triangle- shape "Under Roof". While the "Space" is specified as conditioned, the "Under Roof" is specified as un-conditioned by eQUEST.

As shown in the report LS-B (Space Peak Load Components), there is no load from roof for the "Space" but there is load from roof for the "Under Roof". However, as shown in the report LS-C (Building Peak Load Components), only the loads for the "Space" are accounted for. So, my question is where the load from roof is? In the simulated gymnasium, there is no ceiling and the roof is exposed to the space of the gymnasium. As a result, the load from roof should be included (at least partially) in the building peak load, which needs to be treated by the HVAC system. Am I right? Does eQUEST actually account for this load although it doesn't show in the report LS-C?

Your suggestions and comments is highly appreciated.

Xiaobing