[bldg-sim] Green Building Studio

Jon McHugh mchugh at h-m-g.com
Tue Dec 20 11:35:38 PST 2005

Hi Carol and other Green Designers,

My interest is in transforming building design so that what is called
"Green Design" now is standard practice in the future. Part of that
vision to create expert systems that make it easy to do the right thing
and make it hard to do the wrong thing.  These expert systems need the
input of experienced professionals to create the rule sets, so that what
is modeled matches reality. With increased recognition of the value of
energy efficiency, what is now considered a LEED Silver building today
may the code minimum building in the future.

Ideally architects and engineers are now being trained to be energy
professionals in addition to designing buildings that last, don't fall
down and are sufficiently heated and cooled.  All of these other aspects
of building design place a premium on experienced professionals, surely
the same will be true of energy analyst portion of an architectural or
engineering practice.

Is anyone really wistful for the good old days when you entered the x, y
and z coordinates of building surfaces?  More people are now able to use
simulation tools and I expect these tools to get better over time.  This
should reduce the time needed to conduct the simulation segment of
energy analysis.  There are still all of the other aspect of being a
energy analyst that others in this list serve have already brought up.
This brings to mind a quote about analysis:

"The purpose of computation is numbers.  The purpose of analysis is
insight."

Happy Holidays!

Jon McHugh, PE, LC