[bldg-sim] High Performance Glazing

Vikram Sami VSami at lasarchitect.com
Thu Dec 15 15:04:35 PST 2005

I agree with Mitch & Pasha. Glazing performance is very climate
specific. We did a project in Hawaii where it turned out that single
glazing was more appropriate for the climate than insulated glazing,
because the outdoors was within the comfort zone for most of the year.

Mark - I would also check if the system is meeting the heating loads
(i.e. - hours outside throttling range). It could be that you aren't
seeing an improvement in performance because of this. I would also check
the LS-C & LS-F reports in the SIM file to look at building peak loads
and annual loads by component, and see if window conductance shows up as
a high value on the heating side. I would think it would.

Vikram Sami,  LEED AP
Direct Phone 404-253-1466 | Direct Fax  404-253-1366

LORD, AECK & SARGENT ARCHITECTURE
Responsive Design * Technological Expertise * Exceptional Service
www.lordaecksargent.com