[bldg-sim] Leaving air temperature for chilled water coils

Glenn Haynes glenn at rlw.com
Wed Jan 19 12:53:05 PST 2005

Here's a need to go beyond the standard DOE2.1E fatal error-type limitations
to simulate a real situation.

Does anyone in DOE2 Land know how to get DOE2.1E to allow the chilled water
coil leaving air temperature to be 35 degrees F for special space
dehumidification requirements?  I've specified in PLANT input a hermetic
centrifugal chiller with a cooling tower to deliver 32 degree (the minimum
allowed) chilled water.  I've specified no piping losses in PLANT, and a
coil bypass factor of 0.01 with a blow-through fan and a chilled water coil
water-side delta-t of 7 degrees (the minimum allowed) in SYSTEMS.  Also,
DOE2.1Ev132 will not allow me to specify a coil chilled water supply
temperature below 35 degrees under any circumstances that I know of.  Then
the code requires at least a 6 degree coil water-to-air temperature
differential, which limits me to a 41 degrees F coil leaving air
temperature.  I know that glycol chillers can go lower than 32 degrees,
chilled water can be delivered at below 35 degrees and beefier coils can
beat a 6 degree differential, but can DOE2 be coaxed somehow to simulate
these extremes?

Sincerely,

Glenn Haynes

RLW Analytics, Inc.