[BLDG-SIM] Pollution Factors

John Porterfield john_m_porterfield at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 14 12:24:33 PDT 2005

Accounting for local differences in electricity-related pollution would be worthwhile when the source energy "mix" for generation differs from the national average.

I have seen state-by-state information on power generation energy source (coal, hydro, nuclear, etc) at the EPRI or Edison Electric web site several years ago, though I did not access this information before this inquiry. As I recall, fraction of electricity from coal varied from 90% to less than 10%, with comparable variation in fraction provided by hydro.  Metro area fractional breakouts are perhaps more pronounced.

Review of the excellent residential end use information http://enduse.lbl.gov/info/LBNL-40297.pdf and http://buildingsdatabook.eren.doe.gov/ did not yield regional building-related pollution information.

Are data available that offer reasonable guidance to select localized pollution outcomes of electricity consumption in buildings?

Thanks!
John Porterfield
www.energydetectives.com
Chicago, IL