[BLDG-SIM] eQUEST:Recreational Pool Modelling

neeraj near_ej at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 15 04:29:58 PDT 2005

Hi Gerald,

There are primarily two big loads on the system for indoor pools -- 1) evaporation and 2) ventilation. Evaporation amounts to almost 70% of heating load in an indoor pool (it's more than oudoor in many cases, since it does not see the sun and is occupied most of the year). If care isn't taken in conserving energy due to evaporation losses then the ventilation energy would increase for the space!.... that said, there is opportunity for savings and control of the environment. Simply covering the pool to mitigate wind factor and lessen the air-water interaction in non-use hours and not heating the water during those hours are the best way to conserve.

Coming to your question, best way the size a system is to determine the extent of evaporation that will happen. The calculations can be quite cumbersome, but usually in practice corelation models are used to estimate the lb/sft.hr of water evaporated in the space. Once you have (pounds of water per sft per hour) being added to a space, I imagine it should be easy to incorporate that as a latent load in your model. There are some very useful studies available online explaining the correlation models and estimation of the evaporation potential. The one I particularly liked is http://www.hpac.com/microsites/egb/pdfs/shah_0304.pdf that takes into account an inactive pool condition as well as an active pool condition, with the difference between the two being significant. The author also indicates prior studies and correlations (empirical or otherwise) that might be useful incase you don't want to use his. Apparently ASHRAE has one correlation in the Applications handbook that I have not
 looked into as yet.

Other resourse useful to you might be the DOE, EERE website and the RSPEC tool:
http://www.eere.energy.gov/consumerinfo/heatcool/hc_pool_heating.html
and finally, I like this following website for it's ease of use and clarity of its explanations, however it might be limiting in its scope:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html You may like to look up -- evaporation, saturation vapor pressure and related concepts.

Hope this helps,
Neeraj Kapoor

Senior Energy Engineer,
EMO Energy Solutions, LLC
www.emoenergy.com

Gerald Pde <geraldpde at yahoo.com> wrote:
I am enquiring if there is a general strategy for
modelling swimming pools preferably using eQUEST , and
if so, are there are specific modelling tricks for
this task. There have been discussion threads for
pools from 2003 but those discussions have not touched
on any general strategy for handling pool modelling.
I have a recreation center of appx. 40,000sq.ft,
including the pool, and what I am looking for is a
conditioning system comparison between a typical VAV +
chiller + boiler system, and a heat pump system that
uses waste heat from other spaces to heat the pool
itself as well as condition air in the pool hall and
the rest of the building.
The general questions I have in mind are how could one
define a system which could mimic a heated pool, how
would one define or assign latent load added to the
space, and how would one define heat losses from the
pool.

Gerald