[BLDG-SIM] Bug in Window 5.2

Jeff Hirsch Jeff.Hirsch at DOE2.com
Fri Jul 1 20:28:04 PDT 2005

Joe,

I left phone messages and sent email to people in the Windows group
in 2004 on this issue; nobody ever return my messages.

I then contacted Sue Reilly and Charlie Curcija (see message below);
they confirmed my suspicions that the film coeff's in the report were wrong.
We never claimed the bug was in calculation, but that there was a bug in
the Windows 5 reports; you can see that in the email from me that Mahabir
posted to bldg-sim.  Mike's email also only says it is a bug in the report.

Charlie contacted the W&D group, as well, about the problem and they said it
didn't matter for DOE-2 (see below) ... I corrected that notion as you can see from
the message below.  Again, W&D seems to have ignored my explanation.

There are huge numbers of people using DOE-2.2 and eQUEST and some
still using DOE-2.1E ... but I was told (indirectly, as they - W5 support - did
not bother to reply to me at all) that they only focused on EnergyPlus needs
as that was what people used.

So, now the user community considers it a DOE-2/EnergyPlus issue; that the
problem was ignored due to it being only a DOE-2 issue. That seems to be a
reasonable conclusion based on the actual record, even though it may not
be a correct conclusion.

The claim that the W5 group did not know of the specific DOE-2 issue and that
it was just in the last few months it was raised is incorrect as you can see
from my email below.  Many people have raised this issue with
the group, and it was ignored.  Why it became perceived as political
is obvious to the outside world; the only thing that seemed to get it attended
to now was a user pointing out that it seemed to be political.

So, making it "political" seemed to be the only thing that got action; maybe that is
a lesson that users will take to heart.

---
Jeff Hirsch
James J. Hirsch & Associates
Building Performance Analysis Software & Consulting
12185 Presilla Road
Camarillo, CA 93012-9243 USA
phone: (805) 553-9000
fax: (805) 532-2401