[BLDG-SIM] Modelling of a domed roof?

Joe Huang yjhuang at lbl.gov
Mon Jul 25 11:21:06 PDT 2005

Brian,

I encountered the same need when I was providing technical assistance on building energy standards for Egypt back in 2003. A visiting Egyptian researcher said they needed to model buildings with dones, which were prevalent in both religious (mosques) and commercial buildings. So, I wrote an awk script that generated DOE-2.1E input based on the input dome diameter and the specified number of arc segments (horizontal rows) desired.  The script generates produces a series of polygons to model the dome in any detail.  Caveats are :  (1) the dome is hemispherical, (2) the model of course does nothing about air stratification or other thermal effects, (3) one can easily be entranced by the representational accuracy of the script and transform the dome to hundreds of poygon - clearly geometrical overkill - but it looks good in drawings.

The description of the procedure is descrubed in an article I wrote  in the Sept/Oct 2002 issue of the USER NEWS, "Adapting DOE-2 to meet the needs of the Egyptian Housing and Building Research Center", p. 18-19.  You can get to the article on http://gundog.lbl.gov/dirun/23s_o_1.pdf .  It includes the awk script and a sample input.

Joe Huang