[BLDG-SIM] Radiant Cooling

Dan Sobrinski sobrinski at econergy.net
Wed Jun 29 09:29:41 PDT 2005

What is the best way to model a radiant cooling (thermo-active slab) system for a commercial building?

In the past I have attempted to mimic this system with Equest by using a fan coil system, eliminating fan energy, and then handling OA requirements in a "dummy" zone.  Please let me know if you have any suggestions and/or papers that discuss modeling radiant cooling using this technique or any other technique (EnergyPlus?).

Also, does anyone have experience or comments on TAS?  The software's web site claims to be capable of modeling radiant cooling however when I reviewed some literature on the subject it appeared to be a bit limited.  For example, a major drawback to modeling radiant cooling in TAS is the temperature or operation of the radiant cavity cannot be controlled by the space temperature. Therefore the operation has to be controlled by on/off schedule in the equipment schedule.  This seems a bit questionable when analyzing annual energy use but maybe this is the best approach available.  It seems, at a minimum, it would be a good way to check peak cooling loads against the previously discussed Equest mimic.

Anyway... thanks in advance for the help.

Dan Sobrinski

Econergy