[BLDG-SIM] WLHPs and Hot Water

Wade McLaughlin wmclaughlin at dmiinc.com
Thu Jun 16 09:05:33 PDT 2005

Dear All,

I have system I'm working on that I'm having trouble conceptualizing in
eQuest.  A condenser water loop serves heating/cooling water-source heat
pumps throughout an apartment building.  Heat rejection is provided by
cooling towers.  Heat addition for the heating season is provided by a
hot water loop, bleeding hot water into the condenser water loop as
necessary to maintain setpoints (~70degF).  The hot water loop also
serves heating coils (@~180degF) in various end users such as AHUs and
unit heaters, and is heated by a series of staged boilers.

I haven't been able to find a working method to use the hot water loop
to heat the condenser water loop in eQuest.  This is important to me,
because one of the energy efficiency measures involves staging and
control of the boilers -- which will require accurate simulation of
part-load operation.  Otherwise I'd use a dirty method of assigning
dumbed-down boiler approximations separately on the hot water and
condenser water loops, and just let part-load operation slide.
Additionally, because of the temperature setpoint differences between
the two loops, boiler models on the hot water loop will perform
differently than those on the condenser water loop.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Wade

Wade McLaughlin, PE