[BLDG-SIM] boiler

Fred Porter fporter at archenergy.com
Thu Jun 16 05:29:22 PDT 2005

Good thing to check!
The PS-C heat load divided by the PS-C fuel use is the annual
boiler-only efficiency that DOE-2.2 has calculated:
1. starting from the 84% steady-state, full-load, thermal efficiency (or
combustion efficiency if you input boiler shell losses separately),
2. considering any other inputs to the boiler command or the default
boiler values,
3. using the (much less than full load) load distribution over the year,
4. applying the DOE2.2 boiler algorithms.

The resulting "almost two-thirds" annual efficiency from 84%
steady-state, would be typical of, or better than, the annual efficiency
of a big, old, boiler.

The boiler algorithms and default inputs and curves need to be used with
caution. Check the "dictionary" and some old posts in the listserv
archive; in particular:
http://www.gard.com/ml/bldg-sim-archive/msg00914.html

The PS-C heating load should equal the HW loop load, which is the sum of
loads from the systems, and the load from the loop losses, if any are
defined. The "coil loads" on the HW loop should be the loads from the
systems (The system loads include outside air, overcooling & reheating,
and the temperature setpoint schedule), and any process loads defined.
The loads in loads are calculated at a constant temperature defined in
the space command, and don't include any system effects. They do not
apply to this issue.

--
Fred W. Porter
Senior Engineer