[BLDG-SIM] 90.1/LEED question

John Weale jweale at eskimo.com
Fri May 27 16:31:05 PDT 2005

Short answer: I don't think so, and I wish it had been adopted under 2.1.

As with most things, a CIR would be required to be sure.  I have looked
briefly at trying to use portions of the Appendix G protocol for modeling
buildings under 2.1, but gave up on it as uncertain and not worth the CIR
effort (the buildings I work on can typically model out at 50-60% without
it).  I would love to hear that I am wrong - anyone with good news for me?
LEED 2.2 jumps to ASHRAE 90.1-2004 and calls out Appendix G by name
(hallelujah - low pressure drop system fan savings will finally count!).
Speaking with zero insider knowledge, I have the impression that the
USGBC's main attitude towards Addendum E is that they've accepted it in
2.2 (which required a major shifting of the point versus savings scale)
and will deal with specific modeling questions on a case by case CIR basis
under 2.1.  Your mileage may vary.

Good luck,

John Weale

On Fri, 27 May 2005, Shaun Martin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Quick question:  Has Addendum e of 90.1-2001, Informative Appendix G which
> sets out the Performance Rating Method, been adopted by the USGBC?
>
> Thanks,
> Shaun
>
> Shaun Martin
> Principal
> Shaun Martin Consulting
> 2840 West 11th Avenue
> Vancouver, BC V6K 2M1
> tel 604-789-1095

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are
putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."   --Mark Twain