[bldg-sim] LEED Kitchen Exhaust Fan Modeling

Allison Rutter arutter at staenglengineering.com
Tue Nov 8 06:56:19 PST 2005

Hi all,

I'm trying to simulate a teaching kitchen in eQUEST.  LEED Credit
Interpretations Rulings have said that we can take credit for exhaust energy
savings.  We have modeled our hoods as variable volume exhausts and put them
on a typical use schedule.  ASHRAE 90.1 Section 6.3.7.1 only gives specifics
for kitchen hoods over 5000 cfm (which we don't have).  Am I to assume that
we can model the hoods as constant volume in our baseline model?  The energy
savings between the two seem somewhat unrealistic.  Has anyone come across
this situation and do you have advice?

Thanks,

Allison Rutter

Mechanical Engineer