[bldg-sim] software for drawing a complex building

Drury.Crawley at EE.DOE.GOV Drury.Crawley at EE.DOE.GOV
Wed Nov 16 09:36:00 PST 2005

For EnergyPlus, there are a number of tools.

You can create a building in CAD and export
to EnergyPlus using either the Green Building
Studio or the IFCtoIDF tool.

Two other tools are more oriented to design
and energy analysis:   ECOTECT and
DesignBuilder.  I recently saw an image of
a 20+ story building created in DesignBuilder.

Links to more information on these and other
tools for EnergyPlus is available here:

www.energyplus.gov/interfaces_tools.html

                      "davide marino"
                      <dademarino at gmail.c      To: bldg-sim at gard.com
                      om>                      cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  [bldg-sim] software for drawing a complex building
                      bldg-sim at gard.com

                      11/16/2005 04:53 AM
                      Please respond to
                      dademarino

Dear all,

I have a new question. I'm using EnergyPlus with IDF-editor.
I should simulate an enough complex building.Which software could I
use for drawing a complex building?
So if I draw the building and then I export it in EnergyPlus I have to
insert the coordinates of the vertexes of the surfaces or it is not
necessary?

I have asked this question because if I have to insert the coordinates
of a complex building it is very expensive in terms of time.

Best regards,

Davide Marino.