[bldg-sim] water-side economizer in eQUEST

Alpana Jain ajain at setty.com
Thu Oct 13 12:02:20 PDT 2005

Hi all,

I am trying to model a water side economizer in eQUEST. It will not let
me do it unless I have a water cooled chiller. My chiller condenser is
air-cooled and I want to be able to use a water side economizer on it.

My question is - Is there a way to trick the system to model such a
situation? Can I use some kind of heat exchanger or heat rejection
equipment on my chilled water loop? I tried changing the chiller to a
watercooled condenser type and then use a water side economizer on it,
but I get this added pump/fan energy (which is resulting in overall
higher energy use) and not serving my purpose. I am quite sure energy
use should go down but that's not happening.

I am running this model in Mumbai, India and Quito, Ecuador. Both places
should be able to economize on cooling energy using free cooling.

Thanks

Alpana