[bldg-sim] Building Pre-Heating Question

Jon Maxwell jmaxwell at aspensys.com
Thu Oct 6 08:48:35 PDT 2005

Does anyone have experimental or simulation case study experience on using
a building's inherent thermal mass for energy storage?

Specifically, we have a client that manages a conventionally-constructed
17-story 30-year old office building and a conventional chiller/boiler/VAV
system.  In the winter, they are considering setting the temperature
setpoint very high for a few hours before occupancy to heat up the concrete
& furnishings, then coasting later in the day.  The system would have
sensors placed deep in the concrete to monitor temperature and help optimize
the controls.

The approach might use more energy (lower system temperature differences,
higher average inside temperature), or it might use less (running systems at
full load, lower average inside temperature because of radiant comfort).
The manager's primary goal is to increase tenant comfort.

In the summer they could do the reverse.  The building is located in the
Pacific Northwest U.S.  Any results would be welcome, but a case study from
a similar climate would be ideal.

Thank you in advance.

Jon Maxwell, PE
Aspen Systems Corporation