[bldg-sim] Heat recovery: Any data on central water/sewer drain line temperatures from multi-family buildings?

Brian Thornton thorntonenergy at comcast.net
Wed Oct 5 08:27:45 PDT 2005

As a follow up I wanted to thank everyone who replied.

GFX and PowerPipe both offer a range of heat recovery units that can tie in
directly to single showers or to drain risers of varying sizes.  The web
sites can be found with a search.  I understand there may be some industry
dispute going on in this product area about distribution and technology to
be aware of.

No one had a source of data on drain line temperatures, particularly for
mixed flow, that is not just showers.  I would still like this, since at
times, separating out showers on separate stacks costs extra, and if the
mixed drain temperatures are significantly above the domestic water supply
temperatures, reasonable heat recovery may be possible there.

For my project, we are going to have dedicated shower drain stacks, which
are combined on multiple floors, to 6 stacks, at 3" diameter and heat
recovery units are available for this.  I am still determining how this will
work out in connecting to our two central domestic water heater locations,
and the paybacks.

Thanks,

Brian Thornton

Thornton Energy Consulting