[bldg-sim] GHP in eQuest and predicted vs. actual performance

Renee J. Azerbegi renee at ambient-e.com
Sun Oct 2 09:43:56 PDT 2005

Yes, you can model ground source heat pump systems (GSHP). How accurate the
results are I'm not sure. You have to create a Loop in water side and then
add a Ground Loop Heat Exchanger. Check the min and max alarm temperatures
since sometimes these need to be adjusted.

I did model a small 10,000 sf building a few years ago in eQuest with GSHP
and compared it to actual data. Predicted was 43 kBtu/sf/yr and actual was
25 kBtu/sf/yr (a 99 Energy Star rating!) My life cycle cost results showed
the indirect/direct evaporative cooling was better than GSHP (since the
building was in a dry climate of Colorado), however the owner wanted to go
with the GSHP system. The owner is very energy conscious so they do turn off
equipment at around 3 PM for this school maintenance building which might be
part of the low energy usage, however, I wonder if eQuest under-predicts the
savings from GSHP systems?

GSHPs are all the rage, but I don't think they are cost-effective if you
have natural gas for heating as your base case. But then again, with the
rising cost of natural gas, maybe they will be more affordable. Anyone else
have any experience with predicted versus actual energy performance for GSHP
systems?

Renee