[bldg-sim] politics or science?

Renee J. Azerbegi renee at ambient-e.com
Thu Oct 27 11:20:33 PDT 2005

Debate Continues Over Increasing Insulation Efficiency

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/24/AR2005102401
786.html

I keep hearing about this in the news - is it all lobbyists at work are is
there any science to the statement "The Energy Department issued a statement
on Sept. 28, the day before a key vote by a code-setting body, saying it
could not support more stringent "R-values" -- which measure the resistance
of insulation to loss of heat -- because there is "still inadequate data on
the cost and implementation" of the increase."

If anyone is modeling the impact and cost of insulation levels, I would
think it would be someone on this building simulation list! Please let us
all know what the status is on this if you know.

Sounds like the DOE is supporting turning off the lights but not supporting
reducing on-site natural gas consumption, and gas rates are expected to
increase significantly this winter in the US - 45 to 70%!

Renee Azerbegi