[bldg-sim] air-side economizer...increase in heating load???

John Aulbach jra_sac at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 20 21:10:15 PDT 2005

Hi Paul:

I am willing to bet you are using a multizone type of
HVAC unit. I was told by a wise old engineer, and
verified by DOE2 that heating does indeed go up in
reality for this type of system.

Understand that the economizer for this type of system
throws the cool outsider air where heating and cooling
coils are acting simultaneously, with the damper being
the particular zone modulator.

When you add 100% OSA, zones calling for cooling are
satisfied and little heating is used. But those zones
calling for heating, will find the entire airflow to
that zone now needing heating, not just a hot deck.

Thus, the heating energy goes up.

Guys and gals, check my logic on this one, please..