[bldg-sim] Overhead Radiant Heaters

Jon Maxwell jmaxwell at aspensys.com
Fri Oct 28 07:50:45 PDT 2005

I think you're on the right track.  I don't have a paper to offer, just an
opinion that I have loosely correlated with field observations.  Reduce the
temperature for two reasons:  (1) People are comfortable at a lower
temperature with radiant than convection heating.  So reduce your modeled
inside setpoint a couple of degrees on account of that.  (2) Radiant
delivers major stratification-related savings as well.  With a 40- to 50-ft
ceiling and forced air heat, you might have to maintain 90F air at ceiling
in order to have 70F air at the 5-ft high thermostat.  That means the
average inside temperature is 80F even if the setpoint is 70F.  Radiant
won't have that problem.  So that would be another 10F reduction on the
average inside temperature.

Third, by eliminating the aforementioned stratification you will reduce the
stack effect-driven infiltration.  This can have a measurable effect on the
heating load if your building is not pressurized with a lot of OA.

Fourth, check your candidate equipment rated efficiencies.  Depending on
venting and burner types a radiant heater can be more efficient than a
convection unit.

Jon Maxwell
Aspen Systems