[bldg-sim] Too capacity in AHU's?

Pedro Rodrigo pedromanuelrc at yahoo.es
Thu Sep 1 08:56:21 PDT 2005

Hi all.
We have developed a TRNSYS building model of a real
yet existing building in Jaen (Spain) in order to
study different ways to operate the HVAC systems for
improving energy efficiency. We are now working in the
summer mode (cooling) that is much more important due
to Jaen climate.
The HVAC systems are divided in two groups: first,
several AHUs that provide a constant volume of
conditioned outside air at 21ºC; second, each room has
its own fancoil units so that when a user goes into a
room, he turns on the fancoils to get the confort
temperature.
We have tried to turn off the AHU's coils so that the
ventilating air is now entering at the outside
temperature minus some degrees due to the effect of
energy recovery equipment. The model shows that the
fancoil units still have enough capacity to provide
the confort temperature in the occupied rooms. The
unoccupied rooms are now hotter so that the mean
temperature in the building has increased. This means
that the energy comsuption has decreased.
It seems to be very simple but we have no experience
about. Do you think there could be any problems by
operating the system in this way? Why have the
designers installed a so big amount of capacity in the
AHUs?
Thanks for your suggestions,
Regards,

Pedro Manuel Rodrigo Cruz