[bldg-sim] Heat recovery: Any data on central water/sewer drain line temperatures from multi-family buildings?

John Porterfield john_m_porterfield at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 25 19:05:22 PDT 2005

Brian,
Search for “gfx” at http://www.eere.energy.gov/
However, I do not know if documents referenced at this site include measured waste water temperature.
Perhaps the inventor of GFX can guide you to this data.
Dr. Carmine Vasile, CEO Voice: 516-758-6271 >WaterFilm Energy Inc. Fax: 516-758-0438 >P.O. Box 48 Email: gfx-ch at msn.com >Oakdale, NY 11769
Waste water heat exchange topics have appeared at the http://www.repp.org greenbuilding listserve.
Please let me know what you find.

John Porterfield
John at energydetectives.com

Brian Thornton <thorntonenergy at comcast.net> wrote:
st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }
I am looking for information on the temperatures of the waste water leaving multi-family buildings.

We have looked at drain heat recovery at individual showers and units, and found the space requirements (and placement of heat recovery equipment in some other tenant/owner spaces) to be too big an obstacle.

I am wondering if there is enough heat to consider central heat recovery off of the combined drain lines to pre-heat domestic hot water make-up.

Any one have history in trying such a heat recovery approach?

Brian

Thornton Energy Consulting

p. 503-231-6600 f. 503-231-3555

thorntonenergy at comcast.net