[BLDG-SIM]

Larry Degelman ldegelman at cox.net
Sun Apr 23 09:26:13 PDT 2006

Gerald et al,

The conventional definition of window-wall-ratio is the window area divided
by the "gross" wall area, though the term "window-wall-ratio" is no longer
among the Definitions section of 90.1-2004.  For that matter, WWR is not
defined in the Abbreviations section.

Notwithstanding all that, the definition for "Gross Wall Area" is clearly
defined in the 90.1-2004 User's Manual.

On page 5-30, example 5-G addresses "Determining Gross Wall Area", stating
that this is very significant since the window area requirements are based
on Window-Wall-Ratio (WWR).

Answer (as shown on the same page):  "The gross wall area includes both
above-grade walls and below-grade walls so that gross wall area is simply
the perimeter of the building . times the height."

Larry D.

Larry O. Degelman, P.E.                  ldegelman at cox.net

Prof. Emeritus of Architecture    Ph./Fax: 1-979-696-2506

Texas A&M University