[BLDG-SIM] Need help on eQuest - library entries

Jeff Hirsch Jeff.Hirsch at DOE2.com
Tue Apr 25 11:21:25 PDT 2006

DOE-2.2, used either stand-alone or in eQUEST, has two libraries:
one is the DOE-2.2 default library (called BDLLIB.dat) and the
other is the "user" library.  For stand-alone DOE-2.2 the user library
is called USRLIB.dat and comes mostly empty.  In eQUEST, the
user library is set to reference eQ_Lib.dat which contains all the
wizard and other eQUEST referenced default entries.

When using either stand-alone DOE-2.2 or eQUEST we advise against
changing BDLLIB.dat.  Using stand-alone DOE-2.2 all user entries are best placed
into USRLIB.dat and then when you send an .inp file to someone you need
to also send the usrlib.dat entries that are referenced by the BDL input
file.  When running an eQUEST generated BDL file in stand-alone DOE-2.2
it will be necessary to copy eQ_Lib.dat into USRLIB.dat if the wizard was used
to generate the input or non-DOE-2.2 defaults entries were fetched from the
detail mode.  If the DOE-2.2 USRLIB.dat has entries that are also needed
it will be necessary to make a new library by combining the two files (easy
with a text editor.)

The input file you are using probably has references to user added entries to
either the BDLLIB.dat or USRLIB.dat ... you need the other person to send you
those entries that can then be added to the end of eQ_Lib.dat (making a backup
first)  Note that releases of eQUEST frequently include altered eQ_Lib.dat files
and releases of DOE-2.2 (and thus eQUEST) sometimes contain altered versions
of BDLLIB.dat ... so care mush be taken when adding your own entries to ensure
that you don't use duplicate names of DOE-2/eQUEST entries and that you don't
replace files containing your entries when installing updates.

Note that DOE-2 searches libraries sequentially from beginning to end starting with
the user library then the bdllib; so if duplicate names exist, the first one found will be used.
Thus, user library entries can "replace" DOE-2 default ... which can be very dangerous
and produce bad results.
---
Jeff Hirsch
James J. Hirsch & Associates
Building Performance Analysis Software & Consulting
12185 Presilla Road
Camarillo, CA 93012-9243 USA
phone: (805) 553-9000
fax: (805) 532-2401