[BLDG-SIM] DHW simulation using utility steam

Ivy Larsen ILarsen at eheinc.com
Thu Aug 10 10:28:05 PDT 2006

Hi,

Using DOE2.1E, I am trying to simulate DHW energy usage that uses
utility plant steam and a steam/hot water converter. Utility plant steam
is also used as the heat source for the building's hydronic heating
systems. We can simulate the steam use for the building's hydronic
systems by specifying a steam utility rate without assigning a boiler.
With this arrangement, we then proceed to add a domestic hot water
heater but steam is not allowed in the program as a fuel source for the
DHW heater. If we were to create a HW boiler and use it to emulate the
DHW heater, we can choose a steam meter for it but the program defaults
to natural gas as energy source regardless of the type of meter
selected. A big problem with this method is that the program will use
the HW boiler to satisfy the building's hydronic loads and not for DHW
use. I'll start thinking along the lines of Load Assignment but am not
very familiar with the programming language associated with it. I do
know that DOE2.1E forbids the use of load assignments for DHW heaters.

If anyone has an idea of how to tackle this or has had similar
experience, please don't hesitate to reply.

Thanks!

-Ivy