[bldg-sim] Dedicated Outdoor Air in eQUEST

Barnes, Benjamin Benjamin_Barnes at nrel.gov
Mon Aug 7 11:50:47 PDT 2006

I am modelling dedicated outdoor air systems (DOAS) in eQUEST with each zone having it's own PSZ recirculation system.  I posted this once and got some generous advice involving a dummy zone that I did not have time to implement before a deadline.  Instead, I tried to have the entire building's outside air load in one zone with the other zones having PSZ's that represent what is realistically in the building, hopefully accounting for the recirulation loads accurately as well as the OA loads.  I'm not sure if I did it correctly.  Any help with the following questions would be very appreciated:

1. How do I make sure that the PSZ's have zero outside air?
2. How do I make sure the DOAS has 100% outside air (but can still vary between the minimum outside air requirement and the maximum, depending on the load in those zone)
3. Should I, instead, specify the PSZ's also as 100% OA but have them draw it from the zone I have taking the entire OA load (wouldn't this then require it to exhaust some air to the outdoors and creat more load?  The DOAS zone know that this air was leaving and realize that it was exhausting more air than it was supplying?)

Thanks very much.

Benjamin Barnes
FEMP Technical Assistance Team
NREL - MS #1534