[BLDG-SIM] THROTTLING RANGE

Thomas White twhite at glumac.com
Wed Aug 23 17:00:19 PDT 2006

Holly,

There's a beautiful diagram on throttling range, buried in the eQUEST Help files, that will explain all and make things right with the world. Here's how to get it.

1.	Open your eQUEST Help.
2.	Under the FIND tab, type in Air-Side HVAC System Control Strategies.
3.	Select the Air-Side HVAC System Control Strategies Topic Contents and click DISPLAY. The Air-Side HVAC System Control Strategies Topic Contents opens.
4.	From the topic list, click the General Air-Side HVAC System Control Strategies hyperlink. The General Air-Side HVAC System Control Strategies topic opens.
5.	Scroll down about 7 or 8 paragraphs to the Zone Thermostats and Throttling Ranges heading.
6.	On the next line, click the FIGURE hyperlink,and voila, the diagram appears.

This diagram shows the relationship among throttling ranges, set point temperatures, and dead band. Personally, I didn't get the concept of throttling range until I digested this diagram.

Essentially, throttling range is the temperate range over which a heating system is heating a space or cooling system is cooling a space. For example, if your setpoint for heating is 72F and your throttling range is 4F, then the system will start heating when the temperature drops to 70F and continue heating until the space temperature reaches 74F (a 4 degree range).

How the system heats or cools depends on the system type (but that is another topic).

...Tom

Thomas J. White, P.E.
Associate
Lead Engineer, Energy Services