[bldg-sim] eQuest Chiller Curve follies..

Aulbach, John jaulbach at nexant.com
Tue Dec 19 12:20:50 PST 2006

Folks:

eQuest (as did its predecessor DOE-2.1) use three basic curves to define chiller performance:

1)  EIR-FT

Takes the U-name of a curve that adjusts the electric input ratio as a function of the leaving chilled water temperature and the condenser temperature. This curve should be normalized to 1.0 at the ARI point (RATED-CHW-T, RATED-COND-T, etc.).

2) EIR-FPLR

Takes the U-name of a curve that adjusts the electric input ratio as a function of

     The part load ratio (PLR) -  The PLR is defined as the ratio of the hourly load to the hourly capacity;  Load / Caphour

     The evaporator/condenser dT -  The temperature differential between the condenser and leaving chilled-water. The  meaning of the condenser temperature varies according to condenser type.

3) CAPACITY-FT

Takes the U-name of a curve that adjusts the capacity of the chiller as a function of the leaving evaporator water temperature and the condenser temperature. This curve should be normalized to 1.0 at the rated conditions (RATED-CHW-T, RATED-COND-T, etc.).

MY understanding is the the EIR-FPLR was always to be the part load curve based on a constant condenser water entering temperature (say 85°F) and that the program would use the other two curves to modify this based on other chilled and condenser water conditions.

NOW I see a new equation (new to me) in eQuest that I can apparently put in the ARI curve of a chiller (based on ARI prescribed condenser water relief) and the program will accept that.

Is this anyone else's understanding?

John R. Aulbach, PE, CEM
Project Manager
Nexant, Inc.