[BLDG-SIM] About coupling air flow

Harry BOYER harry.boyer at univ-reunion.fr
Thu Feb 23 20:31:34 PST 2006

Pedro Rodrigo wrote:

>Hi all.
>I need to estimate the coupling air flow between two
>thermal zones that have a common door that is always
>opened. This air flow will be used for building
>simulations.
>How can I estimate this parameter or, at least, a mean
>value that will be accurate for the simulations?
>Thanks in advance,
>Regards,
>
>Pedro Manuel Rodrigo Cruz
>University of Jaen, Spain

Hello,

a quite old reference treating of buoyancy driven ventilation through
indoor openings is

G.N. Walton, A computer algorithm for predicting infiltration and
interroom airflows/, //ASHRAE Transactions/ 90,  Part 1, 1984, 601-610

The large opening is considered as two small ones on which power law
apply, with specific parameters (exponent, height, discharge
coefficient). It is adapated to multizone airflow modelling and allows
the couplings with wind induced ventilation.

Another one is considering laminar airflow solved with Bernouilli equation

Van Der Maas, J.* */Air flow through large openings buildings./
Lausanne: International Energy Agency Annex 20 substask 2 technical
report, LESO-PB, EPFL, 1992.

In this one, through a doorway (with usual notations), a simplified
expression (in kg/s) is proposed

I remember to have check the two previous methods and that they give
nearly same results.

CODYRUN, the simulation software I developped (in French), with airflow
module (pressure model with Walton's model of large openings), could be
usefull for your needs. Keep in touch if interessed.

Harry BOYER
Réunion Island University
harry.boyer at univ-reunion.fr