[bldg-sim] equest recovery

Brian Thornton thorntonenergy at comcast.net
Fri Feb 3 07:06:51 PST 2006

This is a great discussion. There are a lot of control strategies to
mitigate the increased cooling and fan energy impact of energy and heat
recovery units in eQuest.

However, small (residential) ERVs and HRVs don't have these control
strategies available generally.  The only control option that seems to be
common, is to allow the energy recovery wheel to be turned off for an
economizer temperature range.  ERV/HRV fans still have to run, as there is
no bypass.  Are there small units that do have a full range of control
options?

The eQuest simulation suggests that the units without sophisticated
controlsmay cause a net increase in fan energy, and cooling energy that
offsets or more than offsets the heating energy savings, at least in our
mild Portland climate.

Do others see similar simulation results for simple ERVs and HRVs, and does
that mean that these type of units may not save much if any energy?  Is that
not true for more extreme weather locations?

Brian

Thornton Energy Consulting
p. 503-231-6600 f. 503-231-3555
thorntonenergy at comcast.net