[bldg-sim] Current state of software for natural ventilation

Matt Gangemi mgangemi at WoodHarbinger.com
Fri Jan 20 16:49:27 PST 2006

I'm interested in finding good software to use in designing for natural
ventilation.  By "good" I mean providing results accurate enough to use
in constructing functional buildings, while being minimally complex or
difficult to use (and yes, I'm aware that even the minima of this group
could suck up weeks/months of time) and yet still affordable.  I've
searched the archives for a good discussion regarding natural
ventilation, and although I found a good thread
(http://www.gard.com/ml/bldg-sim-archive/msg01276.html), it's a few
years old.

What software is preferred?  Has anyone here tried the COMIS
capabilities of EnergyPlus?  Is there a good interface to EnergyPlus
yet?  (last time I simulated a model was a few years ago, and I more or
less worked with text files)  Is combining ESP-r with a CFD model still
the best solution, or is there a better way?

 Thank you,
-Matt Gangemi, P.E.
 Wood/Harbinger, Inc.
 (425) 822-9499 x188