[bldg-sim] Modeling a vegetative green roof and earth berming in eQUEST

Brian Fountain bfountain at greensim.com
Wed Jan 25 16:17:30 PST 2006

The document “Evaluating Rooftop and Vertical Gardens as an Adaptation
Strategy for Urban Areas" by Brad Bass; Bas Baskaran of the National
Research Council's Institute for Research in Construction includes
some simulation verification of green roof  energy performance.  It is
available at http://irc.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/fulltext/nrcc46737/.   It uses
VisualDOE rather than eQUEST but might be helpful.  There are a number
of other documents available at the IRC website on green roofs (mostly
by the same authors).

I would expect that you would want to include external shading with an
annual schedule in your simulation of the green roof.

With respect to the earth berming -- would this not be similar to an
underground wall (depending on the berm thickness)? Underground walls
can be modeled in DOE-2.

Brian Fountain