[bldg-sim] IWEC Weather data and DOE2.2

Joe Huang YJHuang at lbl.gov
Fri Jan 20 16:59:42 PST 2006

There seems to be some confusion on the format of the IWEC files that were developed by ASHRAE about 5 years ago, and available through the ASHRAE Bookstore. Those files are in a text format that's 99% identical to the format used by NREL for their TMY2 weather files.  EPW is the weather file format used by EnergyPlus, akin to the *.BIN binary format used by DOE-2.  What you are doing is taking the EPW version of a WEC weather file, probably from DOE's EnergyPlus Web site, reconverting it to TMY2, and then packing it for DOE-2 using the doewth weather processor program (?).  You should be aware that DOE-2 weather files contain weather parameters in integer IP units, and so loses some precison compared to the original IWEC weather source file.

Joe Huang
LBNL
also former chair of ASHRAE TC 4.2 on Climatic Information