[bldg-sim] EnergyPlus - DOE

Shaun Martin shaunmartin at shaw.ca
Thu Jan 19 13:29:06 PST 2006

Brent, my 2 cents.  If all you want is building-scale energy results, a
model employing simplified zoning (eg 5 zones per floor) is fine and you'll
get reasonable runtimes. If you want to use EnergyPlus for design (eg
10-20-30 unique zones per floor), expect much longer runtimes.  If you have
errors-warnings-cautions coming out of your model, 4 minutes can easily
become 4 hours. Mahabir, this sounds like what may have happened to you. E+
just doesn't stop after a sensible number of errors has been generated, and
there are several different types of problems in a model that can cause a
simulation to run on interminably.  It's only when you're model is reaching
completion that the runtimes improve.

Renato, have you looked through the gettingstarted.pdf and
engineeringdoc.pdf? These describe a lot of the differences.

Shaun Martin