[BLDG-SIM] Greenhouse Curtain Simulation

Kirchhoff, Eric EKirchhoff at semprautilities.com
Thu Jun 15 08:56:37 PDT 2006

We are looking at trying to simulate the performance of greenhouses with
and without heat curtains.  The concept of the heat curtain is basically
to trap the heat inside the greenhouse so that it doesn't radiate back
out to the sky at night.  The energy savings will occur by a reduction
in the use of heaters to keep the temperature above a preset minimum
desired setpoint.

Someone suggested eQuest may be able to do this, but I recall that there
were some solar simulation tools around back when I was in school.  My
instinct tells me these are probably better tools for tracking the
amount of energy the greenhouse would store throughout a given day then
eQuest.  Is this an unfair assumption?  Has anyone performed an eQuest
model similar to the one I am describing in eQuest before?

Thanks,

Eric Kirchhoff, PE

EE Engineering Supervisor

Customer Programs

Southern California Gas Company

a Sempra Energy Utility

555 West Fifth Street, GT28A4, Los Angeles, CA  90013

tel:  (213) 244-4228   fax: (213) 244-8252