[BLDG-SIM] Lab system in ECB & LEED

Paul Erickson perickson at aeieng.com
Thu Jun 8 11:32:50 PDT 2006

Dennis,

Previously the PROCESS load was not considered as part of EAc1 (LEED-NC
v2.1).  However, as part of a project I am currently working on, all
language in v2.2 related to process energy, and some feedback from
others (waiting on credit interpretation), leads us to believe that
PROCESS energy cost must be considered, and thus energy savings within
process loads can be used to justify reduced building energy
consumption/cost.
Regards,

Paul

>>> "Dennis Lee Gmail" <dennis.lee.pe at gmail.com> 6/8/2006 11:36 am >>>
Your lab exhaust is PROCESS load, LEED EAc1 will not compare energy
saving from the process, but only compare the saving from HVAC system
for humam comfort, i.e. only for office and classroom.

Depends how your ventilation system was designed, the heating/cooling
loads should be seperated for human comfort and process. I did a
similar case for a trade college building.

Few questions need to be answered anyway:
1. is the lab exhaust operating constantly, or ON/OFF switch available
on each station so that VAV exhaust is considerable (mine is VAV
exhaust)
2. Can you seperate ventilation system for human comfort and make-up
air for lab exhaust
3. Is there heat recovery system possible for AHUs
4. Did you check ASHRAE 90.1-2004, which regulates heating/cooling
load for make-up air for process exhaust, included kitchen hood
exhaust, this will help you set up your reference building.

Hope it helps

Dennis Lee

On 6/8/06, Peter Simmonds <peter.simmonds at ibece.net> wrote:

> The first response would be to drop LEED.
>

> The second would be to suggest that you VAV lab exhaust to reduce
energy,
> you get an extra point for ventilating in excess of 62.1 recommended
minimum
> requirements. Classrooms will also 100% OA. The lab supply air will
be
> higher than 90.1 or 62.1 recommends, use the real world cfm as a
constant
> volume system to determine the standard case then use the VAV fume
hood
> control to reduce the energy consumption compared to the adapted
standard
> case.
>

> Peter Simmonds Ph.D.
>
> Associate
>  IBE Consulting Engineers
>
> 14130 Riverside Drive Suite 201
>
> Sherman Oaks, CA 91423
>  p:   (818) 377-8220
>  f:    (818) 377-8230
>  m:  (818) 219-1284
>  IDEAS FOR THE BUILT ENVIRONMENT
>
>  This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use
of the
> information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or
distribution is
sender
> by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

Yang